Friday, March 23, 2007

What are the odds?

Yesterday was just another ordinary day in the Curlee household. When you have three daughters, a dog, a cat, oh and husband who sometimes needs more help than the kids finding something, what else could it be?

My oldest daughter has a birthday tomorrow which led us to a trip into the city. I am in deep denial that my baby girl is growing up. She is a beautiful young lady but that is not what makes her who she is. As beautiful as she is on the outside the inside is even more so.

Many people told me wait 'til she's a teenager, she will change. Well, they were wrong. Don't you just love those people. She still is that sweet little girl she always was but better. She has a clear vision of her life and where she sees herself but best of all boy does she love GOD. She really loves Him not because her parents want her to but because she wants to. This year she went to public school for the first time and we were a little worried. We always told her don't let school change who you are but you change it. She took our words to heart and got to work. Being an athlete she had a platform and she used it. She plays volleyball all year so when the season started she began inviting the people around her to our youth meetings. By the time the season ended she had more than half the team at youth and more than that half saved. She wasn't finished there though. She got involved in FCA and started making a difference there. They are 150 strong and still growing.

So can you tell we are proud of her. Why the story? Well God can do just about anything when you believe He can. We always told her she was different. That she was set apart. We have prayed for all children every night since their birth. We have blessed them and taught them the God has great plans for them. We have prayed His favor and blessing on their lives not really knowing when that would happen but just doing it by faith. It has become such a ritual at our house that every night no matter where we are we stop for those moments with them before we kiss them goodnight. At times it is hard especially when your tired and you just want to go to bed. That is when they come in and pray for me and tuck me in. Isn't God great?

My daughter, last night, left her purse at a restaurant and did not realize it until we were home. I called the restaurant and asked if someone had turned it in not really expecting it. (shame on me) I was informed by the manager that no one had but I left my number just by chance that someone would. It is then that I began to pray and ask God to give her favor to return her purse back. You see it was more than a purse to her. She has always been a good steward she works babysitting and helps out at our coffee shop at church and saves her money. Last year she wanted a Dooney Burke for her birthday. As much as we love her, that is simply an item not on our Pastors budget. I encouraged her to save her money and when she got close we would visit that again. Well she did just that she saved and saved any money she could: birthday money, job money, or babysitting money. Giving God of course what was his first. She reached her goal with great pride and I took her to purchase her great possession. I remembered all this as I was praying for her. Not so much for the return but more for the comforting words I needed to speak to her if it was gone. Inside her purse was her cell phone, her I-Pod, and her birthday money she had received from her grandparents and uncle.

Well we took a chance and dialed her phone once again not expecting an answer. What faith we displayed? But on the insistence of her younger sister we called anyway. The first time no one answered, the second time went to voice mail, then a answer. We asked the gentlemen if he had the purse and he said he did. We set up a meeting all still wondering why he took the purse from the restaurant then answered the phone when we called. I was a little worried about the meeting so I went with my husband not that I could have helped but it made me feel better. We arrived in the city and called him. We arrived at the meeting place and waited. It took him a while and to be honest I was loosing faith quickly not that it was big to begin with.

Well praise God he showed up! He really showed up. He did not say much except to hand the purse and leave. We did get his name but not many answers on why? It all seemed really strange but everything was there. All of it the phone, i-pod, the money all of it. How awesome is God? The odds of that happening are really slim. I don't know why he took it or why he returned it but I'm glad he did. It shows me that their are still some good people in this world. It also showed me of how a simply ritual at bedtime every night can make such a huge difference in my children's life as well as teach us parents to not be so cynical. Where was my faith?

Thanks girls for reminding me and for insisting to not let me go to bed without blessing my babies. I love you and I'm continually learning from you each day.

To the gentlemen out there, "Bless you too sir". I pray that God blesses you and gives you favor as well.

No comments: