Saturday, March 17, 2007

On the Flip Side

It has been a while since my last post to be exact last October. Where does the time fly? If you don't know me I am Robbie Curlee pastor Jay's wife. If you really don't know me I am the out spoken part of the duo. I know I know it is hard to believe that I can be more outspoken than my husband but I am. I am known to speak my mind a time or two, so I must proceed by saying that anything I do or say is simply my opinion alone and not one that is representative of my husband or the great church he pastor's out of.

I have taken some time to reflect and think about the direction I wanted to go with my post. Actually I took 6 months to think about this and found I wanted to do the flip side. A flip side is a wife's prospective . If you are a pastors wife or a wife of someone who is in the ministry you will appreciate the sentiment. So, here we go......

How many of you have been in church greeting at the door with your best dress on and your best smile shaking hands and welcoming people only to be asked who are you? Not only asking who are you but when you tell them they respond by saying OH!!!!!!! your only the youth pastor's wife like that doesn't really count. You all know what I mean you hear the tone in the OHHHH then you get the look. This is where I smile politely but what I really want to say is WHAT..... My mind says do you have any idea how many hours we spend or the amount of work that goes into our week. Many times we work more hours or just as many as our Senior Pastors do. That is not to say that we think we are better b/c we love and appreciate our Pastor and everything that goes into what he does. We have a great Pastor with great vision and we know we are here to help build the vision he has for the church. But come on people have a little respect for what we do and if your not sure then volunteer some time at a youth event or a service then comment on you're only the youth pastors.

Now don't get me wrong I am not angry I am amused by some of the great comments made by the great people we lead. You know that you know that at some time in your ministry someone said something that made you want to use every Kung-Fu move that you know. Be honest you can't be in ministry and have never been there. If you deny it your not being entirely honest. Ok not that you would really use the moves because it's not really scriptural or political correct although you have to admit it would make a hysterical headline. Can you see it now? Pastor's wife goes Rambo on church member...just kidding really I am.

So, just so you know we are not just Youth Pastors we are Pastors. We work really hard, we have the same passion for souls, we love Christ with all our hearts, we love your teens and we want to be more than JUST a youth pastor to you......... The next time you run into your youth pastor or his wife thank them, love on them and let them know they are appreciated. Remember their dedication is no less then any other servant of Christ.

No comments: